This is one of my favorite times of year. The flowers are blooming, the days are longer, and I am SUPER busy doing my favorite thing! I am a makeup artist and hairstylist who specializes in weddings, and I have compiled a list to help you get the BEST out of your service. Keep on reading to find out my Top Five Tips for your special event hair/makeup session.
- Trials: They are CRUCIAL! How many times have you bought an item you fell in love with only to later realize it just didn’t work for you? There are no returns on your wedding day. You may think you want a specific look, but I have had brides change their original plan completely during their trial. That’s what they are for! You have that time to figure out exactly what you want so your special day is perfect.
- Know What You Want: Come prepared, so you have a starting point. Even knowing what you don’t like is helpful. There are so many great ways to find inspiration - Pinterest, Instagram (*ahem @maerooksbeauty shameless self-promotion going on, I know!!) Finding inspirations pictures allows you a way you can discuss with your HMUA exactly what you want. My goal is to deliver. I want you to say “Yes! That’s exactly what I wanted!”
- Prep: The morning of be sure to devote some time to exfoliate your lips, drink lots of water and moisturize. My style of makeup is very much focused on flawless skin because the best makeup is done on healthy skin!
- Hair Removal: There’s not much I can do about covering facial hair with makeup, and great brows require some maintenance, but they are absolutely worth it!
- Attire: Wear clothing you can easily remove without messing up your hair and makeup. You would be shocked how many people forget this. I have cut a girl out of her t-shirt for a pageant before! Below are some great options from Sweet Sassafras Boutique that would be perfect (click the photos to view more details about these adorable items). You want something that can slip over your shoulders easily and has a little stretch to it.
I hope these helped make your special event a little easier! If you have any questions or tips of your own please comment and I would love to hear from you!
All the love,
Mary Rooks | Instagram: @maerooksbeauty
Makeup: @gnomebusiness @jessicacraigmakeup
Directed by: @byfrontrowcreatives
Models: @chloe.m.hall @gemgreenn @evie_williamss